Today, rather than writing a themed post, I share with you a collection of ten interesting, fun, and beautiful things. They are in no particular order (except the first one).
1. a list of makers and online sellers of actual grab bags (handmade handbags)
2. Cut Paper art from Beautiful/Decay Magazine
3. Ghost in the Machine: portraits of musicians made from old cassette tapes & tape
4. Yummly, a new food website: make a profile (which includes your likes, dislikes, dietary restrictions, etc.) then search for recipes (and let them be recommended to you) from all kinds of big recipe websites (including allrecipes.com and a bunch of others).
5. The Illustrated Elements of Style: Strunk & Whyte’s The Elements of Style is one of the most well-known grammar textbooks. Recently Maira Kalman illustrated it by creating lovely and often very funny paintings for many of the sentences used as examples of grammatical rules.
6. a pen-and-ink illustrated website belonging to the mystery writer Colin Cotterill
7. ifixit: “the free repair manual that you can edit”
8. A blog post about how to become a writer. It wins for simplicity.
10. (yes, I saved the best for last:) a creative nonfiction piece, entitled “My History of Umbrellas”, which was written by a delightful friend of mine and published some years ago in an undergraduate literary journal